Welcome! I'm a Professor of Old Testament at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California, ten minutes from downtown Los Angeles. Technically I am the David Allan Hubbard Professor--my position is endowed in his honor as long-time President of Fuller, Old Testament scholar, and professor.
I studied theology at Oxford, was ordained and worked in a church in London, and from 1970 taught Old Testament at John's Theological College, a seminary in Nottingham, England. I was principal of there for nearly ten years before coming to Fuller in 1997. For me, being a professor is a subset of being a pastor, and I am also priest-in-charge of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Pasadena. I was married to Ann for 43 years until she died in 2009; I have two married sons. I am now married to Kathleen Scott.
On this site you'll find syllabuses and course notes for my courses, papers of mine on different parts of the Old Testament (categorized in accordance with the way the Fuller courses work), and podcasts of lectures and sermons at St Barnabas. I don't believe much in copyright (but I observe it for other people!) so you are welcome to use any of the material and do what you like with it, but if you alter it, please don't attach my name to your revised version!
In the files listed below there are:
* A formal version of my bio in the file called "CV."
* A more interesting version in the file called "Vita."
* An alternative version in the file called "Life as a Haircut."
* A list of things I have written in the file called "Books and Papers" (The text of most of the actual papers appears under the tabs at the top of this page)
* A file of "Things I am alleged to have said in class."
* The text of my book The Usual Suspects (U.K. edition)/Walk On (U.S. edition), which includes a lot of personal reflections and tells you a lot about me.
* My eulogy for Ann, which contains the seed thoughts of a memoir called Remembering Ann, published in the U.K. by Piquant.
* Something about my marriage in 2010 to Kathleen
* Kathleen's recipe for the scones we serve when we invite students for dessert
*My testimony to the faculty in 2013
My current projects:
*A one-volume Biblical Theology, which I hope to finish in 2015.
*A kind-of introduction to that volume called "Do We Need the New Testament?" which is due for publication in 2015.
*A complete version of "The Old Testament for Everyone" translation of the OT, which I hope to finish in 2015.
firstname.lastname@example.org // 111 South Orange Grove Bvd, Unit 108, Pasadena, CA 91105 // 626 405 0626
- CV (straight version)
- Vita (interesting version)
- Books and Papers (see under different tabs for the contents of the papers)
- Life as a Haircut
- Autobiography (for a collection of autobiographies of biblical,scholars)
- Autobiography (earlier version)
- Things I Am Alleged to Have Said in Class
- The Usual Suspects (UK)/Walk On (USA)
- A Eulogy for Ann
- John Goldingay and Kathleen Scott
- Kathleen's Scones Recipe
- Me and my OT Colleagues
- My Testimony to the Faculty 2013